Thursday, February 8, 2007

plans plans plans

It seems like all I did today was pile stuff into my "to-do" list, not that I have a list. Summer internships/jobs, possibily writing a column in the school newspaper, oh wait, biking? Set down in paper (well, electronic paper) a concrete plan for the next 7 weeks. 7 week's of lifting (3 days a week) including core workouts and plenty of leg stuff to build some power (and maybe some yoga) and 7 weeks of pretty much "normal" riding. 2 long rides per week, 3 short rides per week, some short "medium intensity" intervals and some big ring efforts and some climbing. A few town-line sprints and the odd group ride (well, faster ride since maine doesn't have so many groups), 1 day a week of "other" activity which will likely be nordic skiing (skate skiing) or swimming or maybe broomball (though I doubt that counts) and I should be good to go. In no way will I be in "peak" shape for march 3rd, but I should be coming into some speed around the time of the big climbing races during the last 3-4 weeks of the collegiate season, and then peak during some ucsf stuff during june, hopefully some road races or maybe fitchburg if i'm feeling strong. Also set up a weekly day off (my week starts/ends on wed) which is also the day I will call my "coach" and review and tweak things as neccessary. A benefit (I guess) of not really being in top form for the start of the season is that I will be focused on helping out some of the bigger stronger sprinters on the team in the flatter races that make up the early collegiate season, and hopefully they will repay the favor and work for me later on, at least thats the plan.

Lots of stuff is in the works, lets just hope it all sort of plays out well. So far 07 is going wayyyy better than the start of 06, and knock on wood, I could really use a good year....06 was pretty much a bad year, or at best maybe on ok year.

In my super sweet night time discussion class "meaningful work in a meaningful life" tonight I was introduced to the concept of "flow", a pyschological idea stemming from work by mihaly csikszentmihalyi. Wikipedia or google it, seriously, its a pretty awesome idea and it apply's to sports. Check it out. Really.

I was hoping some of the stuff I ordered would be here so I could post some pretty pictures, but that will have to wait. Lots of shiny new toys are being ordered, have been ordered, or will be ordered in the next week. Pictures to come as things start showing up. As if I didn't have enough motivation from ordering nice stuff to ride fast/train hard, I made my desktop background an image (stolen from the ECCC site) that depicts the "numbers" area of a collegiate rider (happens to be an a-men princeton rider) that says "2007 Road Racing" and then below "the season begins march 3rd". It's a nice sight to see and it for some reason gets me excited to race.....alot.

No comments: