Saturday, February 17, 2007

17.23


17.23lbs - 7.8kg. Not that light weight was my goal, but its cool to have a decently light bike. Seeing as I weight next to nothing (about 120), the only weight I can really afford to loose comes off the bike. With the new tubulars, maybe some light cages or something, I could probably get it under 17 just to say its under 17, but that isn't happening yet.

Thanks to Dave at mathieu's for spending all morning helping me build it (we ran into hiccups last night when I tried to build it, but it resolved itself w/out a bb face). For the small details, went with crossed cables (you run the housings into the far side of the bike, then cross the cables under the downtube and slide a donut down there), figure 8 style bar tape job. Set up was easy, the bike looks great right now, and I can't wait for the roads to get better so I can take it out. Will get it on the rollers later just to play around with the shifting some more.

3 comments:

Argentius said...

looks nice! That is pretty light for what it is, but I guess it's a pretty small frame, too.

That is the great thing about Rival. The whole group is only 100-some grams heavier than Force...

Was that with pedals and cages?

Argentius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
allons-y said...

yea, its a 53cm. With a 110mm stem, and a fair bit of seatpost (not alot like you see on the 6'4 dudes bikes, but alot for a smaller guy) it fits me perfect. on the shakedown ride saddle felt a bit low, came back and compared it to the 'cross bike and my fit sheet from awhile back, and low and behold it was 1cm low

and yes, weight includes pedals, cages, computer and all mounting stuff (zip ties, etc). its a ready to ride weight

So i guess w/out pedals and cages it would have been sub 17. I am thinking maybe if i can come up with the cash find a lightly used easton ec90 sl fork, that should cut anywhere from 100-200g from the heavy oem fork...that would get me below 17lbs, but it wouldnt do much else, so i don't know. I've never been a weenie before, but the pursuit of sub 17 may drive me there. I'll see what happens after the tubulars arrive

thanks