Monday, February 26, 2007

2 in 1 day

Thats right, 2 posts, 1 day.

Normally I wouldn't do that, but today is a special day. It broke 40 degrees for the first time since like, decemeber. Cause to go out for a ride and try to remember what proper "cold" gear to wear (in prep for this weekend, when temps are supposed to be 45ish). It didn't take 3 hours to dress, instead, bibs, jersey, arm/leg warmers, 1 ss craft windbloc shirt, booties, cold weather gloves, a headsweat, and I was set. I bunched up a ls jersey just in case, but never needed it. It was awesome riding in the heat.

Not even that, but the german (soren) came out for a ride, his first of 07. Normally, he is a giant $%&*# and doesn't ride in the cold, in fact, he hasn't even gotten on a trainer. Granted he nordic ski's for fun, and he is a total diesel (I think of him as our teams version of jens voigt, he just goes and goes). So the fact he rode with me was huge. We get off campus do the little down then up, He pulls through, I look at my computer, and were doing 26mph......his first ride of the year, his first pull. No biggie, as i'm supposed to do some power intervals today, and I figure he can't sustain it for the 1.5 hours we have on tap. We start riding, he keeps the pace up, im pulling through hard figuring maybe I'll tire him out a bit. We hit the townline sprint, and as per usual he wins (I actaully got a good jump on him, but mis-shifted and almost ate it). We hit the first big hill, I pull off halfway up, get onto his wheel, and he picks up the pace. I actually have to get out of the saddle to hold his wheel, and my legs are burning. Granted he says, hmm....haven't felt the leg burn since like, october.....At this point I am starting to question my winter training, seeing as he spent most of the winter on the couch drinking. About 45 minutes into the ride he cracks, and is pulling at like 17mph......Thankfully, but still, thats longer than a short early season crit.....kid is an animal, last season we both got held up at 2 to go in a crit by a wreck, and he pulled me back to the pack by taking a beastly pull the entire .75 mile lap, and then got me up front about halfway through the last lap, before saying, sry, I can't give you a leadout, I'm cooked......he's the sprinter mind you.

On the negative, I finally lost my cyclocomputer. It shot off over some rough road, I turned back to look for it, but it was gone. Had my stem mount been here, it wouldn't have happened. Then again, it only worked about 1/3 the time anways, so I bit the bullet and stopped at mathieu's on the way home to get a new one. 20 bucks wasted (well not really). At least I will have a spare mount when the stemmount comes so if I mess up another one like I did, it won't happen again, and I'll try to take better care of this one.

No comments: