Sunday, March 25, 2007

race weekend duex

Bucknell cycling classic. 36 mile road race, 30 minute crit. I stayed at the really fast bucknell guys room, thanks again for hooking that up, greatly appreciated.

Road race - felt very strong. Moved up easily on the hills early as things started out very, very slow. We are talking the D's who started 2 min behind us were gonna catch us slow. I tried a break, well, actaully three. One was solo, one I initiated and somene followed, one was me seeing a rider who I thought "looked fast" and 3 seconds later he went, and I followed. None stayed away more than a few minutes. Then I got sick, puked and dropped out. It sucked, I felt like I could have tried something with the hills, I felt super strong, but the finish (and 3 miles heading to it) were all flat, so who knows. Looking forward to boston.

Criterium - felt less than great. Actaully, the dude in front of me didn't clip in and I was near the back from the gun. 4 dudes took off, never to be seen again. Things were lined out from the end of the first lap, and I was like 30-40 wheels back. Which was bad. I had very few oppertunities to move up, and when I did, my legs weren't having it. Things were fast, and a very technical course meants lots of small gaps needed to be closed down just to stay in contact. Finally, at 4 to go, I got all the way up to 5th-6th wheel. It was clear the break was gone, so I decided to see if I had the legs for a psuedo-sprint. I was going to try a break, but wind and speed and lots of work just moving up and I wasn't really feeling it. 3 turns to go, and I get real close, and I mean super, super close to the guy next to me. Like, not just bumping elbows, but he was literally supporting me, all my weight was on him. Apparently someone cut him off, and he came into my line, and there was no room, i'm just happy he didn't freak out and kept going and we both stayed up (we talked about it after the race). I came through the last turn 15th wheel. My super amazing sprint skills put me into 13th at the line, which was good for 17th with the 4 off the front. Not amazing, but just behind the spinters, for a total climber, on a flat, windy, technical crit....isn't bad. I proved to myself I have some legs, and my speed is starting to come around.

In the A race, rkelly was one of like 7-10 guys who went away and lapped the field....hugely impressive, props to him. Ryan, if you see this, I have a sweet picture of you leading the break in the 2nd to last turn (where I was that guy screaming for you 'cross style), but my computer is broken, so if you want it i'll send it to you in like 2 weeks once my computer gets back from the spa (dell repair center).

Seeing as the week is over...185.97mi, 11:26:51. Huge week on tap for break this week (well not huge, but big). Things are coming along.....maybe?

1 comment:

Colin R said...

If you want to get technical about it, isn't
THIS
sprinting?