Sunday, January 7, 2007

ouch

I have blisters on my feet, and it hurts. Right in the arch on the side, on both of them. I woke up at 9am here (our time) today and decided to go for a run. Got dressed (its warm here, mid 50's), grabbed some euro's and the ipod and decided to go to the path on which I saw tons of cyclists, runners, etc...

I did an hour ten minutes, not sure of the distance, I think I got to the next town over, perona? It was very lovely scenery, I will do it again with a camera at some point. I saw soooooo many rollerbladers, I guess that is a big thing here. Many were wearing cycling type jerseys, I saw one old guy in a Fasso jersey and rollerblades. A bunch of teams out on training rides rode past, which was cool. Despite it being warmish out (I'd guess mid 50's) I was wearing long spandex top and bottom w/ a sweatshirt and was hot, rolling up sleeves, etc....everyone else was bundled up warmer than I do for riding in winter in Maine. Full on hats, face guards, gloves, booties, etc. etc. Crazy. I would be running along and then anwhere from 6-20 guys/girls in matching kits would whir past. Hopefully I will be able to find a bike soon so I can ride if it stays nice, if not, our residence has spin classes in the gym a few days a week. I think I am just going to walk into a bike store (I found one wandering around yesterday) and in broken Italian say something along the lines of "I am an american cyclist here for awhile who would like to do some training"....we will see how that goes.

My Italian is actaully not that bad, I was fully able to order drinks last night at the bars and also ask questions of the waitress at dinner (about the food) and also in the residence. Last night was a big fesitval where they burned a giant witch in front of the collesium thingy. Sort of cool/weird, I didn't have a camera but many of my friends did. It is 7:51am at school/home, wake up sleepyheads.

2 comments:

Argentius said...

Running is for sucky people. Get a bike! :)

So, you mention your "group" a few times. What sort of group are you in Italy with?

josh said...

25 students from my school. 4 guys, 21 girls....:) (1 profesor also)

We are taking a class on italian literature, althuogh it is translated into english, nad is a joint english-italian class. 1/2 are english major, the other 1/2 italian students. most are my year (Second) but some are older. we only have class for 2 hours, 4 days a week, so we have alot of free time and can travel alot.

our school has a thing called jan-plan, where we take 1 class for the month of jan, between the semesters. you can get internships, take serious classes, take b.s. classes, travel, etc...this program is put on by our school for janplan, there are other school run trips to france, costa rica, india, china, senegal, and russia.

i do need to get a bike, tmrw afternoon i am going to go looking