Monday, November 20, 2006

bigg(er) boys

Sunday was my first "killer b's" cyclocross race. I was in fact pre-reg'd to race C's, but that didn't quite work out. Sarah and I drove down to Boston saturday night to crash at my friend Justin's house. Nick, an old friend of mine and justin's, was meeting us at 7:40 the next morning to head to lowell, mass, for the brc/slickwilly cross race. It would be nick's first race and justin's first race in 3 years. They would be sharing justin's singlespeed.

When we got to the race, about 20 minutes before the start for the mens c and womens b race, we found out registration was full, meaning nick couldn't race. Not wanting nick to have driven out for nothing, we convinced someone who seemed to be in charge to let me give him my spot in C's and I would race B's. This was a better deal for me as I felt like crap and had been dry heaving all morning, and the b start wasn't for 3.5 hours.

Sarah and Nick lined up to start at 9am. With a tiny warmup, and a general hectic morning, nick completed his first ever cross race and beat 2 people on his ss. Sarah's head wasn't in the race (according to her) and she was 25th.

Colby Alum Alex Jospe raced her first ever elite womens race, finishing 2nd to last but not getting lapped. This was 1 hr after she took 2nd in the women's b field. Congrats!!!

And then my first ever B race. I got in a solid warmup and felt ok, but sort of knew I was going to get my butt handed to me. I lined up and before I know it we were off. The course was awesome, I really loved the rather large hill, the stair set where everyone was crowded around cheering, and the tricky descent. I had a few small crashes, but didn't get lapped and crossed the line 27th. Oddly that is my highest placing all season in cross. I learned a ton, fell a few times but didn't break anything (other than my ego near the barriers) and was totally whipped after the first race. Looking forward to next weekend for sure (targetraining, please hold your race, please)

No comments: